Henry Hughes was born in 1908 in Chillicothe, Missouri. Hughes’ family moved to Denver in 1913 and he graduated from South High School in 1927. In his youth Henry worked for his father, building the original 18 holes at the Broadmoor as well as Cherry Hills Country Club and Wellshire Golf Course. In 1934 Hughes became the superintendent at Cherry Hills and was one of the three original organizers of the Rocky Mountain Greens Keepers Association (now known as the Rocky Mountain Golf Course Superintendents Association). Hughes remained at Cherry Hills until 1947.
Following his tenure at Cherry Hills he embarked on a career as a golf course architect. Hughes designed and supervised the construction of over 40 golf courses from 1949 to 1970. Included in his resume are Columbine Country Club, Meadow Hills Golf Course, Fort Collins Country Club, Sterling Country Club (now known as Northeastern 18), Old Baldy Golf Club in Wyoming, and many other well-known golf courses in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska and Texas. Hughes played an important role in almost every golf course built in the Denver metro area during his career and is considered to be a pioneer in golf course design and construction.